Feb 6, 2009 Bobby's Fish Camp to the Alabama River Cutoff Anchorage
















We left Bobby's at 7 AM just behind a barge. We called the lock master to ask if we could lock through with the barge. He said OK. It was an uneventful day except for debris in the water and a few barges along the way.





The anchorage (lat N31.11.512 long W87.56.626) was very small and very isolated. It was very dark and during the night I heard strange noises. My mind started to wander and before I fell asleep, I started to worry about all kinds of things. The worst was the Chainsaw Preverts. It could happen. We were in the Alabama wilderness with no one around for miles. They could have boarded our boat during the night using small rowboats and cut their way in. We would have been goners.


I did not spell Preverts incorrectly, it comes from Stanley Kubrick's great film "Dr. Strangelove".

3 comments: