Feb 17, 2009 Carrabelle to Steinhatchee Florida
















It is 90 miles from Carrabelle to Steinhatchee across the Gulf of Mexico. It was the longest part of the trip for us. Travelling at about 8 mph meant that we had to get up before dawn so that we could arrive before dark. (The picture with the sun is a sunrise.)



The Gulf is surprisingly shallow for such a large body of water, for instance we were out of sight of land for much of the crossing but depths were sometimes only 10’. The waves for today were forecasted to be 2-4’ which was much better than for the rest of the week. In my opinion, the waves were more than 4’ for most of the crossing. Needless to say, I did not feel good. In fact, I spent the majority of the trip in the cabin, sitting as close to the centre of the boat as possible holding a plastic bag in my hands while staring at the horizon. Luckily, I did not need the bag, I could have been a sailor after all. It wasn’t much fun though, I was wishing that I was back home in the cold and snow. It was a good thing the chop did not affect John.

I made friends with a Dolphin as you can see from the photos and we had a welcoming party of birds when we arrived in Steinhatchee. The Pelican was doing his best Klingon impression. Animals seem to love me.






We will be staying here for a couple of days until the weather improves. I may suggest to John that I drive to the next stop.

6 comments:

  1. You do not give a convincing rational for your sailorship though!! Guess you were glad to see land. It looks like the dolphin almost shook hands with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went on satellite - I think I can see you surrounded by wildlife - I believe there is a moose headed towards you! Are you at the orange roofed marina or the blue/purple one? That's a looong river - the Steinhatchee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's really pretty shocking how many great animal pictures you're getting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm at the Marina with the orange roof, it is called the Sea Hag Marina, used mainly by fishermen.

    Thanks Dave, I'm quite surprised myself at how unafraid they are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can picture you sitting there with the little bag staring at the horizon. Very funny I'm sure... (looking back at it).

    ReplyDelete